BELIEF


THEY ASK ME WHY I TEACH

They ask me why I teach,
And I reply,
Where could I find more splendid company?
There sits a statesman,
Strong, unbiased, wise,
Another later Webster,
Silver-tongued,
And there a doctor
Whose quick, steady hand
Can mend a bone,
Or stem the lifeblood’s flow.
A builder sits beside him-
Upward rise
The arches of a church he builds, wherein
That minister will speak the word of God,
And lead a stumbling soul to touch the Christ.
And all about
A lesser gathering
Of farmer, merchants, teachers,
Laborers, men
Who work and vote and build
And plan and pray
Into a great tomorrow
And I say,
“I may not see the church,
Or hear the word,
Or eat the food their hands will grow.”
And yet – I may.
And later I may say,
“I knew the lad,
And he was strong,
Or weak, or kind, or proud,
Or bold, or gay.
I knew him once,
But then he was a boy.”
They ask me why I teach, and I reply,
“Where could I find more splendid company?”
 
They Ask Me Why I Teach,” by Glennice L. Harmon, in NEA Journal 37, no. 1 (September 1948): 375

This timeless poem was a favorite of one of my mentors, the late John Wooden. Is this how you see all of your students? Is this how all of your staff sees all of your students? Is this how your students see themselves? The greatest gift you can give someone is to believe in them.

As we head back to school in a few short weeks, I challenge you. I challenge you to ask yourself, your staff, and your students what do they believe? Do you and your staff believe that all students can succeed? Do your students believe in themselves? Make it your goal this year to increase the belief members of your school community have in themselves. Share your belief in them and do things with your staff, your students, your families, and your school community until one day it’s not your belief in them, but it’s their belief in themselves driving them, propelling your school, and your community to success. Pass the belief you have onto others until people own it. Provide affirmation, mentor others, equip and empower, provide time to practice, and celebrate every small victory. Nothing helps a person’s belief in themselves like success. Create an environment where students and teachers win everyday in your school. This will only improve your school culture and increase morale. Your students and teachers are capable of accomplishing anything. It starts with belief. When you believe in someone and demonstrate that belief, they begin believing in themselves too.

I take tremendous pride when I hear from or read about the successes of students and teachers who I was privileged to serve. Their joys are my joys and their sorrows and disappointments are mine. I like to feel that I have played a part in maximizing their joys and minimizing their disappointments. We are fortunate as educators to keep such splendid company every day. Many of my colleagues call themselves the “chief story teller.” I challenge you all to add one more title this school year – be the CHIEF OF BELIEF.

Inspired by John Wooden. 
I encourage everyone to take the time to listen to his 2001 TED Talk https://www.ted.com/talks/john_wooden_on_the_difference_between_winning_and_success/discussion 

Comments

  1. Very inspirational post. The poem is new to me and it strikes many accords. Like you, I celebrate my kids' (even those who now have their own families) triumphs and well-being, and I feel grief in their times of turmoil. Wonderful company they are, were, and forever will be in our hearts. ...I'm a Chief of Belief!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More

Changing Student Task (Why and How)

Parent Engagement vs. Parent Involvement